There are three things in my pantry that I simply can not live without these days.
1. Coconut Oil
2. Peppermint Essential Oil from Young Living
3. Lavender Essential Oil from Young Living
With these three things, I can do everything. They are magic in a bottle, seriously.
Let me tell you all about why I am so desperately in love with peppermint oil.
Peppermint (Mentha piperita) has a strong, clean, fresh, minty aroma. It is one of the oldest and most highly regarded herbs for supporting normal digestion, including promoting healthy intestinal function and gastrointestinal system comfort.
RELIEVE INDIGESTION & HEARTBURN
Add a drop or peppermint oil to your tea along with a teaspoon of honey.
Add 2 drops of peppermint oil in a glass of milk.
Mix 5 drops with a teaspoon of carrier oil and massage the mixture onto your upper abdomen.*
RELIEVE CONSTIPATION, IBS SYMPTOMS & BOWEL SPASMS
Mix 2-3 drops with a carrier oil and massage onto the lower abdomen. *
RELIEVE STOMACH ACHE, INDEGESTION & GAS
Place 1-2 drop in a glass of water and drink the mixture.
RELIEVE JOINT PAIN
Mix 10 drops of peppermint oil, 10 drops of lavender oil, and 10 drops of rosemary oil with 2 tablespoons of carrier oil and massage mixture into sore joints. (from thepaleomama.com) *
RELEIVE SEASONAL ALLERGY SYMPTOMS
Combine lavender, peppermint and lemon essential oils together with some carrier oil and rub on the bottoms of the feet, the back of the neck and across the forehead.* Then take your hands, cup them over your nose and inhale with deep cleansing breaths. (from thepaleomama.com)
RELIEVE COLIC IN INFANTS
Diffusing 1-2 drops of Peppermint is at least as effective as simethicone in the treatment of colic in infants. (from mercola.com)
EASE & PREVENT CRACKED NIPPLES DURRING BREAST FEEDING
Add 1-2 drops to a glass of water and drink the mixture. (from mercola.com)
REGRESS TUBERCULOSIS INFLAMMATION
Inhale 1-2 drops from the bottle or add it to a diffuser. (from mercola.com)
REMOVE DANDRUFF & LICE
Try blending peppermint oil into your massage oil, shampoo, bodywash or body lotion. It has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can help cool your skin and remove dandruff (and lice) from your scalp. (from mercola.com)
RELIEVE ITCHING SKIN
Apply 1-2 drops to skin to stop itching caused by bug bites, hives, poison ivy or poison oak. *
A few drops of peppermint oil massaged around the temples, the base of the skull, along the hairline, inside of wrists or directly onto the forehead. *
ELIMINATE BAD BREATH
4 drops of peppermint oil diluted with water and swished in the mouth like mouthwash will help get rid of bad breath.
PREVENTS BUILDUP OF PLAQUE
Add a few drops to your toothpaste.
Rub a drop of peppermint oil on the abdomen * or place a drop in a cup of hot water and sip it.
COOL A FEVER
Mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil with a carrier oil and apply to the torso *
Place a 2-3 drops on a wet washcloth and apply to the skin all over to help cool a fevered body. *
RELIEVE MUSCLE PAIN
“Peppermint essential oil is a very effective natural painkiller and muscle relaxant. It is especially helpful in soothing an aching back, sore muscles, and melting away a tension headache. A study shows that peppermint oil applied topically can help relief pain associated with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome. The study found that peppermint oil, eucalyptus, menthol, capsaicin and other herbal preparations may be helpful. calyptus, menthol, capsaicin and other herbal preparations.”
(from draxe.com) Check out his Homemade Muscle Rub.
SUPPORTS LIVER & REPIRATORY SYSTEMS – EASES COLD SYMPTOMS
Rub a few drops mixed with a carrier oil onto your chest or add a few drops to a diffuser.
Add 2-3 drops to your diffuser
IMPROVE CONCENTRATION & MENTAL SHARPNESS
Combine 2 drops of peppermint and 2 drops of lemon or orange oil and apply to the back of the neck. * You can also directly inhale the mixture from your hands.
Add 2-3 drops to a diffuser or inhale directly from the bottle. This directly affect the brain’s satiety center, which triggers a sensation of fullness after meals.
*It is recommended that you use a carrier oil to dilute the peppermint oil before topical application (be sure to buy pure organic carrier oils).
A few examples of carrier oils are: Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Jojoba, Macadamia Nut Oil, Olive Oil, Rose Hip Oil, Sesame Oil, Sunflower Oil.
MORE USES (from young living.com)
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to herbal tea to help aid normal digestion.
- Massage several drops of peppermint essential oil on the abdomen, place a drop on wrists, or inhale to soothe the minor stomach discomfort associated with travel.
- Rub one drop of peppermint essential oil on the temples, forehead, over the sinuses (careful to avoid contact with your eyes), and on the back of the neck to relieve head pressure.
- Place 2 drops of peppermint essential oil on the tongue and rub another drop of oil under the nose to help improve concentration and alertness.
- Apply peppermint essential oil to the back of the neck and shoulders throughout the day to keep energy up.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil, apply topically to your temples or neck, or put a drop on your tongue or in water to jump-start your morning routine.
- Diffuse or inhale peppermint essential oil mid-morning to curb the desire to snack.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil or rub a drop on to your abdomen to soothe minor stomach discomfort.
What are your favorite Peppermint Oil uses?