The Skin Deep Exposures Magazine Code of Ethics provides guidelines for team members, contributors, partners and advertisers as they deal with fellow contributors, partners, team members and advertisers, SDE Editors and subjects. The Code describes the expected responsibilities of writers, photographers, artists and advertisers to their profession and those they represent as well as to Skin Deep Exposures Magazine.
Responsibility to Fellow Contributors, Advertisers, Partners, the Team Members at Skin Deep Exposures Magazine and the SDE Readers and Subscribers:
- Maintain a high quality of service and a reputation for honesty and fairness.
- Protect the copyrights and moral rights of other creators.
- Never deliberately exaggerate one’s qualifications, nor misrepresent the authorship of work presented in self-promotion.
- Never engage in malicious or deliberately inaccurate criticism of the reputation or work of another writer, photographer, artist or advertiser.
- Never offer or accept bribes, kickbacks or other improper inducements.
- Never conspire with others to fix prices, organize in illegal boycotts, or engage in other unfair competitive practices.
- Any contributions made to Skin Deep Exposures magazine will be donated, not resulting in any form of monetary compensation, with the understanding that they will be used for the betterment of the readers and that full credit will be clearly given to the contributor.
Responsibility to Subjects:
- Respect the privacy and property rights of one’s subjects.
- Never use deceit in obtaining model or property releases, subject agreements or representation contracts.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner and represent a subject’s best interests within the limits of one’s professional and/ or freelance responsibilities.
- Protect a subject’s confidential information. Any assistants or others involved should likewise maintain confidentiality of the contributor’s proprietary information.
- Accurately represent to subjects the existence of model and property releases for photographs.
- Use written contracts and delivery memos with any subjects, stock agencies or assignment representatives.
- Give due consideration to the subject’s interests before licensing subsequent uses.
- Any images or content portraying a minor or information pertaining to a minor will NOT be used in any way that would put the minor at risk, reveal personal information about the minor or represent the minor in any questionable manor.
- Any images or content portraying a minor will be published only after obtaining consent from said minor’s parent or legal guardian in the form of a written contract or photo release that clearly outlines the intended use of the content.
Do not manipulate images, editorial articles for use in a journalistic context in a manner that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects.
Responsibility to Publishing Rights:
By signing one or all of the contracts for Contributors, Partners and/or Team Members, you are agreeing to the publishing rights as stated below even in the absence of monetary gain.
WHEN SUBMITTING AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE COMMISSIONED BY SDE MAGAZINE:
- SDE Magazine is the first one to publish your article in print form in North American markets, prohibiting other U.S. publishers from publishing your article. However, you can still sell rights to your article to publishers outside of the U.S. After SDE Magazine has published your article, all rights return to you. You can then sell and resell your article to another publisher.
WHEN SUBMITTING A WORK OR ARTICLE THAT HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED ELSEWHERE:
- Skin Deep Exposures Magazine can reprint your article, which has been published previously by a different publisher.
IN ALL INSTANCES OF SUBMISSION OF A WORK OR ARTICLE:
- Skin Deep Exposures Magazine can publish a section or portions of your article
- Skin Deep Exposures Magazine can publish your article in a specific anthology or as part of a compilation of material.
- Skin Deep Exposures Magazine has the right to archive your article, making your work accessible indefinitely to readers, even if the article has been reprinted in another publication.
- All material submitted and published in SDE Magazine is submitted as an unpaid contribution without monetary gain to the author/ creator.
- All material submitted and published by SDE Magazine, whether commissioned or not, is credited to and linked (when applicable) to the original author/ creator and their website.
Responsibility to the Rights Skin Deep Exposures Magazine and its Founder/ Operators:
- Skin Deep Exposures Magazine is a privately owned and operated, opinion-based entity. All Team Members; Contributors, Partners and Advertisers agree to follow the code of ethics defined herein as well as remaining aligned with the SDE Mission Statement and Call To Action when submitting any material for publication or self-promotion.
- As a private, opinion-based publication, Skin Deep Exposures Magazine reserves the right to refuse publication of any articles, works or advertisement materials for ANY REASON.
- It is our right and our policy to deny the submission and publication of materials that:
- Use or imply derogatory language or imagery.
- Deliberately exaggerate one’s qualifications, or misrepresent the authorship of work presented.
- Do not protect the copyrights and moral rights of other Authors, Creators, Team Members or Advertisers.
- Do not maintain a high quality of service and a reputation for honesty and fairness.
- Engage in malicious or deliberately inaccurate criticism of the reputation or work of another writer, photographer or advertiser.
- Engage in unfair competitive practices.
- Speak in direct opposition to the faith-based mission statement of Skin Deep Exposures Magazine.
*Skin Deep Exposures Magazine and sdemagazine.com will not take part in or publish any material that is morally or politically controversial. We are a magazine designed to inspire, uplift and encourage women. We are not interested in making moral judgments about the lifestyle choices or political beliefs of our individual readers and we will not engage in any propaganda that attempts to sway opinion in such matters. We reserve the right to determine material that we deem morally and/ or politically controversial.